Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Excerpt from Bead News

5 Ways to Wear a Brooch

Ay . . . Me wee lass and I attended a Celtic festival over the weekend. It was a sunny celebration that included toe-dancing girls with bouncing curls, haunting bagpipe tunes, monstrous yet noble hounds, and muscular legs protruding from woolen plaid skirts. Other than the point at which I unwittingly headed a speeding rugby ball (ouch!), it was a pretty mellow time. In another life, I may have headed to the Jameson’s booth to soothe such a head injury, but that’s not quite my thing anymore (especially with preteen daughter in tow), so we headed to the shopping tents instead. We encountered the expected piles of tams, namesake key chains, and St. Patrick’s Prayer throws. But you know what struck me most? The many vendors selling brooches: ornate gem-encrusted ones, stamped ones, and simple wire ones.

I have to be honest, I couldn’t help but think, “Brooches? Who really wears them unless needed for pinning up a tartan cape to keep out the moorland damp?” It’s not that I don’t like to make brooches; they work up quickly and are a great platform for creativity since they don’t necessarily need to be comfortable like a bracelet or necklace. I truly have dozens of brooches in my jewelry locker. But I don’t think to wear them that often.

So when I got home I pulled out all my brooches and decided the reason I don’t wear them is because I haven’t experimented quite fully with how to wear them. I think, like many people, I automatically pin them where a lapel would go. That just evokes nightmarish imagery of Office Space’s Jennifer Aniston’s 37 pieces of flair. So I did a little experimentation and came up with these alternatives wearing my “Paulette’s Brooch” from my book Beaded Weddings:

1. At the neck
Jean Campbell wearing brooch at the neck
2. In the hair
Jean Campbell wearing brooch in the hair

3. On a necklace
Jean Campbell wearing brooch on a necklace

4. On the hip
Jean Campbell wearing brooch at the hip
5. On a purse
Jean Campbell wearing brooch on a purse

Hey—this little experiment has made me excited to wear my brooches again! I think the next part of this little study will be to check out some pins and brooches in the Beading Daily store. I’ve got my eye on Linda Jones’s Shell Brooch, which might be just the right thing to pin up my beach sarong.

How about you? Are you a brooch wearer or avoider? Have any other ideas about how to wear them?

Jean Campbell

Crystal Radiance Brooch

Springtime Butterfly

More at
Beading Daily
Forums
Bead Shop
Directory
Free Projects
Galleries

No comments:

Post a Comment